Thursday 21 January 2010

A Solitary Imbolc Rite


This nice and simple ritual is by someone called Oaktree.  It is druid based, but I think it is suitable for most celtic pagans. I've had this ritual on my pc for a while and cannot remember where it came from.

I do hope you all enjoy this lovely ritual. You could also add Brigids/Brighids cross to your alter.

Beannachd
Reki


The Ritual:



The earth is quickening like a child in the belly of its mother. The light is returning, and with it comes the promise of new life. Thus we honour Brighid, Goddess of Healing and Fertility, Goddess of Smiths, Goddess of Poetry.

You will need:


A bowl of water with 3 white candles already firmly inserted. (Floating candles are ideal.) 3 candles are used to signify the triple aspect of the Goddess. I strew a few rowan berries, dried rose petals or bay herb into the water too.


A glass of mineral water


A few spring flowers, preferably snowdrops, or other spring flowers


Some matches.


Place the bowl in the centre (of where your circle will be.) Place the spring flowers by the bowl, along with the matches and the glass of mineral water.


RITUAL


Salute the 4 directions
Walk deosil from the East to the North East which is the place of Imbolc
Face the centre of your circle.


The long night of Winter is coming to an end
The cold ground prepares to awake from its slumber
Creatures are stirring, sniffing the air, awaiting the call
The promise of new life, and a new awakening


Oh great Goddess Brighid
I hear your call
I welcome you with open arms
And light these candles in your honour


Step into the centre of the circle and light the candles in the bowl of water.


Oh Brigid, Goddess of Fire and Water
As these candles shine brightly
May the light shine in my heart
May this water cleanse and renew me


Drink the glass of mineral water.


Sit and meditate a while on this ritual’s meaning. Also, if you know of anyone who needs healing, now would be an appropriate time to ask the Goddess Brighid to send healing energies to them (if they request it.)

When you are ready, get up and stand once more in the NE of your circle.


O great Goddess Brighid
Bringer of Light and Fire
Mother of the Horned God
Healer of the Sick
Patroness of Bards
I thank you for the honour you do me this day
I ask that your protection
Be not only on myself
And on those whom I love
But on the whole world.


Close your circle.


No comments:

Post a Comment